Monday, January 29, 2024

January Update

             

quiet month activities have included New Locos, New Initiatives, Proto Throttle "How To's", NMRA Meeting, Control Panel Training, Ops Session, Tasks Completed in last 30 days & Scheduled Tasks for next 90 days.



New Locos


I placed my order in November 2023 and they have arrived.

Unboxing






Speed Matching and Setting the Acceleration & Brakes


After 3 hours running in on the layout I let the motors cool then into the workshop to set the speed tables to match my standard speeds.  The Acceleration and Braking rates to match other locos in my fleet.  They were then consisted to work together back to back.


Configuring Beacon & Ditch Lights


My research found that the Beacon and Ditch Lights operate on all forward movements so I used DecoderPro to configure the functions to mimic that.


That completed the normal programming using DecoderPro for use by my standard NCE throttle



Configuring to work with Proto Throttle


These units will be assigned to run the Jimtown Turn.  Operators trained to use the Proto Throttle will have these locos assigned in lieu others set to operate with my NCE controllers.

I have a separate entry in DecoderPro for the Proto Throttle configurations (xxxxPT).



Following configuration, I asked Don to come over and run them to evaluate what I had set up.  I was pleased when he'd thought I had done a better job than the last set!

New units under test at Jimtown

During the testing we discovered the glad hands of the rolling stock were fouling the snow plows so long shank couplers have been retro fitted to the front of both locos.



Placed into Service



On the ready track in LeMaistre Loco






New Initiative for 2024


I wanted to have some additional operating sessions to help with additional layout knowledge and experience for my operators.  Wayne, Don & I met to discuss how we could possible improve where we are at with operations on both Wayne and my layouts. We identified some area for improvement so a few changes are taking place this year. 

At Wayne's people who have been attending two sessions a month will reduce to one session to allow more operating time for some operators and allow Wayne to coach some activities.  This means I will not be operating at Wayne's so often from now on.

I have asked the operators with decades of experience to assist with coaching during the additional sessions which will be held on the 3rd Wednesday of the month.

The areas we will focus are:
  • Better understanding all of the trackage and routes
  • Improve shunting skills – combining set-out and pickup moves to minimise time when undertaking shunting tasks
  • Understanding why different things happen in operations
  • Understanding blocking of freight consists
  • Use the Light, Horn and Bell functions more prototypically
  • Take on more challenging roles e.g. Hornertown Yardmaster (currently done by Wayne)
  • Possibly using two-way radio for mainline operations
I invited potential operators to a sausage sizzle to discuss ideas on how to move forward and we had a successful get together.  At our first gathering I will spend time explaining and demonstrating trackage and routes.  I will provide everyone with some reference materials for their retention.

I am looking forward to these sessions.




Proto Throttle "How To"


I put together a "How To" sheet to remind operators how to select, start up, set the lights and shut down locos using the Proto Throttle.  




I placed a copy next to the holder for easy reference.






Hosted NMRA January Meeting


I hosted my first NMRA Australasian Region Division 6 meeting on January 13 and 13 members joined me.  David O ran the meeting as usual and after conclusion of business we adjourned upstairs for afternoon tea before returning to the layout where members ran some trains.  Just before winding up I demonstrated how to use the Proto Throttle to those that were interested and Ray ran some locos with it.

Receiving my plaque for hosting from Superintendent David

Seated for the meeting

Afternoon tea

Members inspecting and running some trains

Ray using the Proto Throttle with Paolo looking on

Thanks to Michael for supplying the photos.



Planning for Paolo


At the NMRA meeting I had a chat with Paolo who asked if I could assist him with planning his layout.  He has completed his benchwork and wants to build a layout based on elements of the Adelaide to Melbourne "South Line" with a branch to Port Adelaide.

We have met and started the process.

Paolo gave me some sketches to work with







Here are a few photos of where things are at









I have setup a shared Dropbox folder so we can share information during development,  I have drawn up his modules in AnyRail and started thinking about all the issues that will affect his design.

Here is where we are to date

Bottom Level

Top Level

The AnyRail Layers have been setup and I will complete all but the scenery and structures which I will leave to Paolo.

AnyRail Layers



I look forward to working with Paolo over the coming months to get the outcome he desires.




Control Panel Training


Some time back I asked Barry if he would be interested in learning the main line control panels and we are finally getting around to it! He had had 3 training sessions to date and has discovered stuff he never knew about the layout - even though he has helped with construction - and been involved in operations regularly since 2008!

Thanks for your efforts Barry, we are going forward with every training session we have.

I look forward to the future when he has mastered all the basics and will only need occasional additional assistance.   That is when the duties can be shared between us and I can do some mentoring/trouble shooting and maybe even run some trains during an Op Session!




Ops Session at Chris's


The first Ops Session for the year was held at Chris's on 29th January.  I couldn't make it due to family medical matters however I undestand a pleasant afternoon was enjoyed by Barry, Don, Ross and Rosslyn who joined Chris and his brother Graham.

Thanks to Ross for the photos.

Chris & Rosslyn

Don & Barry






Tasks Completed in last 30 days 





Scheduled Tasks for next 90 days





That's it for now so until next time.....






-ooOOOoo-


No comments:

Post a Comment