Monday, November 30, 2020

November Update

  



There has been some modelling activities in November but a medical issue early in the month slowed me down but things picked up later. The activities included work to install the new booster, more progress on the Blue Box U28C Upgrade and Ops Sessions.



New Booster

Well preparations for installation have commenced!  A number of changes are needed including upgrading the power supply, bridging the existing booster Lan from In/Out to straight through so the new Booster will be the last in line from the relocated command station.

The home for the new booster



Changing the Power Supply




The old 4Amp 19V Power supply
The new 9Amp 19V power supply

The new booster manual says 5Amp continuous maximum so a 5Amp "slow Blow" fuse put in line


The CDE connections did not come with a plug...  And the Roco 10789 Booster Adaptor does not have one either.

I'm glad I purchased a set of connectors just in case...






Changes to Booster Lan


The usual connections to the Roco 10785 Booster (the one being replaced) have a booster in and booster out connection so to avoid having to rewire I have made a bridge.  A new wire will be run from the booster under Loco back to the Roco 10789 booster adapter.






Outstanding


The outstanding task is to move the command station and its associated power supply cable to its new location under Hornertown.






U28C Blue Box Loco Upgrade


Work continued albeit slowly on mounting the new motor, decoder, keep alive, speaker and lighting.

Mounting new motor


I found some pieces to place under the drive train to support the new motor height wise then placed a significant amount of silicon on top of the old motor mounts then replaced the drive train and allowed it all to set.



New pick up wire soldered to trucks and heat shrink applied to secure

Decoder positioned with double sided poster tape, the motor wires attached and all secured with kapton tape.  I has pre-soldered the wires for lighting prior to assemble.  The keep alive (left) and sugar cube speaker (right) were wired then held in place with double sided tape.






Lighting


I am using machine pins so I can remove the hood if necessary so all assembled in a loom.


I cut two wires too short and had to extend them....



Gyralights


I installed a LED to light up the gyralights in the roof od the cab above the window insert. The LED was secured using Krystal Klear and painted black after curing.  I will attache these to F5.




Number Boards


I thought I would never individually light number boards but as I had to separate the gyro lights I thought I would do a "Spacky" and give it a go....  0402 prewired led placed in filed groove on the back of the number board and held in place with Krystal Klear.  I will attach these to F6.




Headlights


Like the gyralights I installed a LED and it was secured using Krystal Klear and painted black after curing.


The rear lights will take more work as they are represented with "jewels" these need to be removed and the housing drilled out for LED's.




Marker lights


At this stage they will stay as "jewels".







Ops Session at ENGVR


We have had another enjoyable session at Peter's.  I had the least challenging job and could sit down between movements after a couple of hours was worn out - the medical event obviously drained me more than I thought.

Wayne checking up on me....



Don and Des 
Des at Cedar Junction

Don at Reid River
Wayne at Grass Valley



Peter J supervising....


Looking through Cedar Junction to Eureka

Me working Glenbrook

Namesake business

The "other" Glenbrook business

Glenbrook (left) Oilville  (right)
My running sheet






Ops Session at Wayne's

I made it to one of the two sessions this month it was a small group and I was kept very busy.  I was too tired to go to the first session after going to Peter J's a couple of days before.

It was great that Ross P joined us for the first time others attending were Des and Chris.  There is only one more session to be held this year providing the temperature does not exceed 33 degrees on the scheduled date.  We enjoyed refreshments afterwards and the Bee sting cake with Custard filling was lovely.








That's it for now so until next time.....





-ooOOOoo-

1 comment: