Wednesday, July 31, 2019

July Update



The extent of my activities were curtailed somewhat again this month as I was "down with a bug" for another two weeks.  However activities have included an Ops session, power problem solving, a weekend with Spacky & Jock in Pt Augusta, Rosslyn's DecoderPro and attempting to solve a control panel indication Issue.



Ops Session 1st July


Chris, Barry, Don, John, Peter J, Peter S, Wayne and I gatherered to run session 4 and we commenced the session.


Wayne

Peter S and Barry

Barry

John, Don, Peter S & Chris

Chris, Me (well my back anyway), Barry & Wayne

About 30 minutes in and the gremlins started appearing as one section of the layout powered by "Booster B" was irregulary dying and all power going AWOL.....

Below is the result



The session was abandoned....


Afternoon tea was held a couple of hours early.....




A rerun is required after a fix is found and implemented.


Booster B Power Capacity Issues


I installed a Tam Valley Dumb Booster immediately downstream of the existing 2.7A booster and still had the same problems as outlined above.

I commenced a technical dialouge with DCC Specialties via email detailing my configuration, including all the versions of PSX's & PSX-AR's I have installed and spares I am holding.  Then I detailed the issues being experienced.


Power District B

Installed PSX Version

Installed PSX-AR Version

Spare PSX Version

Spare PSX-AR Version
The result of the back and forth emails seems to come down to two issues: the booster capacity; and the booster reaction time to a short circuit.  The Tam Valley Frog Juicers and the PSX-AR's induce a spike of around 1.5A during the activation and operation sequence. With my maximum current draw for trains at 4.2A the booster needs to tolerate a peak of 6A whilst the PSX-AR's/Frog Juicers operate.


I suggested I could separate the feed to PSX's 4, 5, 6 & 7 and feed from a from a separate booster as they all feed the upper level.  However the technical advice was it would be better to install a more robust booster suggesting a Lenz LV102 which would withstand the peak and have a slower reaction time (100ms) relative to the reaction time of the PSX-AR's/Frog Juicers.

Roco have a new product - 10789 Booster Adaptor - which will allow the implementation of a high capacity booster with the control system I run - the Multi ZENTRALEpro with 10765 Boosters.

Connection Details by System




I will replace "Booster B" a 10765 with the Adapter and the CDE Booster (LV 102).



I will report back when the bits which have been ordered arrive and have been installed and tested.



Pt Augusta Weekend


I had the opportunity to go stay with Spacky & Jock for a weekend and we had a fun time.  There were several different activity sessions during my stay which I will briefly outline below.


Spacky's Lighting Installations



Spacky has taken to separating his number boards from the headlights in some locos and has been removing the factory insalled stuff and reconfiguring so he has sepate controls for lights and number boards etc.  His use of small LED's looks great - far more detailed than I have attempted to date. Sorry I forgot to take photos.



Trainmasters TV & Train Videos



We enjoyed many hours of Trainmasters TV broadcast from from my laptop to the bigscreen TV along with some of Spacky's DVD's.



Jock Relaxing

Spacky Relaxing

Me too...



Introducing Podcasts



Both Spacky & Jock had not listened to any of the podcasts apart from an excert from Model Rail Radio I sent them in the past.

I setup iTunes for both of them and they now has the usual suspects to listen to.

We called into Model Rail Radio Show 160 should you want to hear the boys have a chat with Tom.



BBQ


Saturday night was feast night with Jock cooking a great BBQ, Spacky had done his usual potato bake and we did have some salads.  Afterwards I was full as a goog....  A couple of bottles of fine red wine were consumed too.


Nothing like watching the footy when different family members barrack for different teams.

Spacky was allowed red wine.  Why? you ask...

Spacky's Potato Bake

Jock doing the cook up


I could not get any more on the plate - Yes we did have seconds....
Thanks for a great weekend boys - I look forward to the next one!



Rosslyn's DecoderPro


I spent a day with Rosslyn and we got his old laptop going and updated his Java and JMRI version to what the old laptop will run.

It was a hard lesson to learn when Rosslyn discovered we needed to know what particular deocder or decoders are in each loco - a lot of work to take shells off ahead....

Rosslyn has many locos with two decoders as he added sound when it became available but no decoder locking has been implemented so some desolder and resolder work ahead too as they are virtually all hard wired.


We agreed I need to come back for another fulll day toget him upto speed on using Decoderpro to configure sound levels and speed settings.



Control Panel Indications


I have had issues with the LED indication for the top level double crossover near Onka Valley.  They were showing both diverging and stariaght through indications on one side.  Wayne gave me a hand with fault finding and the offending LED's appear to be getting fed from the adjacent power district - looks like I wired it wrong when I retrofitted the indicators.  Murphy is at work as the connections and wire ID's are behind the main loom - fun times ahead....

I will get to this sometime next month.



That's it for now so untill next time.....





-ooOOOoo-

No comments:

Post a Comment